You are here
Services for Veterans
Advisement for veterans is handled through the Office of the Enrollment Services and Registrar. Veterans and active duty military personnel are encouraged to contact Veteran Services Coordinator Christopher Leydon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (646) 664-8619.
The CUNY Office of Veterans Affairs is dedicated to fostering a sense of community and to developing a channel of communication among veteran and reservist students, and with faculty, staff and administration. The City University of New York welcomes and supports veterans and reservists on its campuses and recognizes the contribution that they make as citizens and students. CUNY is proud of the level of diversity and academic excellence that veterans and reservists bring to our campuses.
This website www.cuny.edu/veterans is a virtual one-stop source of information regarding services for veterans, reservists and their dependents and survivors. It is a guide to educational benefits, entitlements, counseling and advocacy resources, which will assist veterans in pursuing their academic and civilian careers. Download CUNY's comprehensive brochure for veterans (PDF).
Application Fee Waiver for Veterans
Students in the Military
For students called up to the reserves or drafted before the end of the semester:
- Grades – in order to obtain a grade, a student must attend 13 weeks (five weeks for summer session).
- Refunds – a student called up to the reserves or drafted who does not attend for a sufficient time to qualify for a grade is entitled to a 100% refund of tuition and all other fees except application fees
For students who volunteer (enlist) for the military before the end of the semester:
- Grades – in order to obtain a grade, a student must attend 13 weeks (five weeks for summer session)
- Refunds – the amount of the refund depends upon whether the withdrawal is before the 5th week of classes. If the student withdraws before beginning of the fifth calendar week (or third calendar week for a summer session), he or she is entitled to 100% refund of tuition and all other fees except application fees. If the student withdraws thereafter, he or she is entitled to a 50% refund.
Other provisions for military service:
- Resident Tuition Rates – these lower rates are applicable to all members of the armed services, their spouses and their dependent children, on full-time active duty and stationed in the State of New York
- Re-enrollment of veterans – veterans who are returning students are given preferred treatment in the following ways:
- Veterans who were former students with unsatisfactory scholastic records may be readmitted with a probationary program
- Veterans, upon their return, may register even after normal registration periods, without late fees
- Granting of college credit for military service and armed forces instructional courses
- Veterans returning too late to register may audit classes without charge
- Late Admissions – veterans with no previous college experience are permitted to file applications up to the date of registration, and are allowed to begin classes pending completion of their application and provision of supporting documents
- Readmission Fee – upon return from military service, a student will not be charged a readmission fee to register at the same college
- Veterans Tuition Deferrals – veterans are entitled to defer the payment of tuition pending receipt of veterans' benefits
New York National Guard Tuition Waivers – active members of the New York National Guard, who are legal residents of New York State and who do not have a baccalaureate degree, are eligible for a tuition waiver for undergraduate study.