You are here
Endowed by the generous support of founding donor Alan Fishman, ACE (Achieve Your College Education) Scholarships underwrite 100% of tuition and follow recipients through degree completion. The scholarship is open to undergraduate students who reside in New York State, are within 6 – 30 credits of graduation, maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, are enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits, and demonstrate financial need. As part of their award requirements, ACE Scholars mentor newly admitted undergraduate students.
Award Amount: Full tuition scholarship through degree completion. Does not cover student fees.
- New York state resident
- Be within 6 – 30 credits of graduation
- Have earned a minimum of 6 credits at the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS)
- Have earned a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits
Post Award Requirements:
As an ACE Scholar, you will be expected to contribute to the life of the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS). You should expect to spend approximately 20 hours over the course of each funded semester:
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Remain enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits at the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS).
- Mentoring two new students. As a high-achieving student nearing degree completion, you can provide unique insight and support to new students returning to complete their undergraduate studies. As an ACE Scholar mentor, you must:
- Attend the ACE Scholar Mentor Orientation where you will be introduced to best practices in mentoring by a professional trainer and meet your mentees.
- Attend a webinar about CUNY SPS resources for students.
- Attend ACE the Mentor/Mentee Meet-Up.
- Support your mentees through orientation, by communicating with each of them a minimum of 5 times over these two weeks (communication can be in person, by phone, or online, at mutually convenient times). You will track and report your communications and engagement with your mentees.
- Contact your mentees at specific points throughout the semester to provide motivation and support. You will be provided with a semester timeline that notes specific points in the term (the second week of the semester, at midterms, and in late November as they are preparing their final assignments, for example) at which you will be expected to engage with your mentees.
- Respond to inquiries and questions from your mentees.
- Reflect. Post your thoughts and comments on your mentee engagement and actively participate in the ACE Scholars organizational site that is hosted in Blackboard.
- Attend the Annual CUNY SPS Scholarship Reception.
- Participate in the #CUNYTuesday, a University-wide initiative for Giving Tuesday.
- Volunteer to support one CUNY SPS event of your choice. Options might include degree program information sessions, degree program “meet-ups,” career services presentations or presentations focusing on applying to graduate school, or commencement (as a volunteer worker, if you are not graduating). A calendar will be provided at the ACE Scholar Mentor Training, and you must commit to at least one event.
- Write one blog post about your experience as an ACE Scholar and mentor for publication on the CUNY SPS Community Blog.
- Respond to surveys at the end of each funded semester which will describe your mentor activities, summarize the nature of the relationships that you have built, and provide feedback about your experiences. This information will document your compliance with the requirement for scholars to be mentors as well as help improve the program.