You are here
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Student Rights AS A FINANCIAL AID RECIPIENT
You Have the Right To:
- Know what financial aid programs are available, including information on all federal, state and CUNY SPS financial aid programs.
- Know the deadlines for each of the available financial aid programs.
- Know how your financial aid eligibility/need is determined.
- Know the costs for tuition and fees, books and supplies.
- Know how financial aid is awarded and the basis for these decisions.
- Know how and when financial aid is disbursed.
- Ask for a review of your financial situation if something changes.
- Confidentiality of your personal information. All information submitted with your application for financial aid is confidential and subject to legal requirements concerning disclosure of such information.
- Know how CUNY SPS determines whether or not you are making satisfactory academic progress, and what happens if you are not.
- Know about the school’s tuition refund policies if you have to withdraw from school after the semester begins.
- Know what effect withdrawals will have on your eligibility for financial aid payments.
You Have The Responsibility To:
- Keep all your contact information (postal address, email, and telephone) up to date in your CUNYfirst account.
- Complete your applications accurately and provide correct information at all times. Reporting false information is a violation of the law and may be considered a criminal offense.
- Be aware of and meet all application deadlines. You must complete your applications early enough so that processing may be completed by the stated deadline.
- Respond in a timely manner to all requests for additional documentation either through email or CUNYfirst related to verification or corrections.
- Read and understand all forms you are asked to sign and keep a copy of each. If you don't understand, ask a member of the financial aid team.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office if the information reported on your financial aid application has changed.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office if at any time during the year you receive any type of financial assistance that is not listed on your award notice.
- Know and comply with all terms, conditions, and policies associated with the awards you receive.
- Begin attendance in your classes. Financial aid is awarded with the expectation that you will attend school for the entire period for which your aid was intended.
- Continue to make satisfactory academic progress in your program of study according to federal and state standards.